War stories have always been told through song, dance, writing, and especially art. When stepping through Heroes & Battlefields: World War I Prints by James McBey, one is sure to feel the empathy McBey felt for his fellow soldiers during his time drawing sketches in the trenches of World War I.
Spend some time with us and enjoy a concert in the auditorium from the Jacksonville-native Ritz Chamber Players. This concert includes a special performance inspired by LIFT.
Academic Splendor: Nineteenth-Century Masterworks from the Dahesh Museum of Art will open January 27 at the Cummer Museum. The Dahesh Museum of Art is the only institution in the United States that is devoted to collecting, exhibiting, and interpreting works by European and American academically trained artists of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Thumbing through pictures of the Gardens from the 1920s and 30s, it’s easy to see, even in sepia tones, their stunning beauty. Brimming with hundreds of blooms from daylilies, peonies, iris, cannas, and roses, it was a spectacular sight. Petunias, snapdragons, and candytuft blossomed while white clematis, red passion flowers, and Japanese and Chinese wisteria perfumed the air.
Go across the pond and you will find the name Harewood in a grand abundance. Here in Jacksonville, there is only one that is on everyone’s lips at this moment, Professor Dustin Harewood.
James McBey’s early years were filled with strife. Born on December 23, 1883, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, he was the illegitimate child of an absente father and an uncaring mother.
Sign Up for our email Newsletter
Connect with Us
Leave Us A Review
@thecummermuseum On Twitter
- Don’t miss a FREE recital from two members of the Ritz Chamber Players! ow.ly/Wh4L9 https://t.co/9BuWi2pVLI 1 year ago
- Need to get out of the house? Pay a visit to “The Newcomb Pottery Enterprise”. The show closes January 3rd! 1 year ago
- We love our Docents! Thank you Susan Law for your hard work! ow.ly/Wh3Jw 1 year ago
- Did you see the Folio Weekly article on the Outings Project? ow.ly/W2JxS 1 year ago
- #TBT to last month when Julien de Casabianca was in Jacksonville for the Outings Project! ow.ly/VYDBS 1 year ago
Powered by Twitter Tools