Born in Green Cove Springs, Florida, Augusta Savage (1892 – 1962) is considered one of the most important sculptors of the 20th century, and the first African American elected to the National Association of Women Painters and Sculptors.
WRITTEN BY SARAH JACKSON, ADVANCEMENT INTERN This years Garden Month is filled with exciting events for the whole family. Stop by the Museum this March for a fun-filled month. The festivities begin on Saturday, March 4, with the Garden Month Kickoff and Plant Sale. Celebrate the coming of spring at this free family day, by purchasing […]
WRITTEN BY SARAH JACKSON, ADVANCEMENT INTERN “…and it means every thing in the world to me—because I love you more and more and I am looking forward to peaceful happy days in our lovely home and garden—With a heart full of devotion—Yours as always, Sweetheart” Arthur Cummer met Ninah May Holden at the University […]
Thumbing through pictures of the Gardens from the 1920s and 30s, it’s easy to see, even in sepia tones, their stunning beauty. Brimming with hundreds of blooms from daylilies, peonies, iris, cannas, and roses, it was a spectacular sight. Petunias, snapdragons, and candytuft blossomed while white clematis, red passion flowers, and Japanese and Chinese wisteria perfumed the air.
The Cummer Gallery of Art, built on the site of the home of Arthur Gerrish Cummer and Ninah May Holden Cummer, was dedicated at a glittering reception held on November 10, 1961, with one thousand guests in attendance, including Florida Governor C. Farris Bryant and Jacksonville Mayor Haydon Burns.
Start your weekend off in the historic Gardens with the WillowWacks and Canary in the Coalmine playing under the stars.
Sign Up for our email Newsletter
Connect with Us
Leave Us A Review
@thecummermuseum On Twitter
- Don’t miss a FREE recital from two members of the Ritz Chamber Players! ow.ly/Wh4L9 https://t.co/9BuWi2pVLI 1 year ago
- Need to get out of the house? Pay a visit to “The Newcomb Pottery Enterprise”. The show closes January 3rd! 1 year ago
- We love our Docents! Thank you Susan Law for your hard work! ow.ly/Wh3Jw 1 year ago
- Did you see the Folio Weekly article on the Outings Project? ow.ly/W2JxS 1 year ago
- #TBT to last month when Julien de Casabianca was in Jacksonville for the Outings Project! ow.ly/VYDBS 1 year ago
Powered by Twitter Tools