The 4th annual Envirofest is just around the corner! On Saturday, October 7, 2017, the Cummer Museum and Jacksonville’s Environmental Protection Board will host this free family-friendly event that seeks to cultivate curiosity, respect, and understanding of the Jacksonville community’s shared natural environment, and the plant and animal wildlife in and around the city’s neighborhoods.
This event offers learning opportunities that encourage individuals to better understand sustainable practices and their importance in conserving natural resources. Guests will enjoy live music from local musicians, interactive booths and projects from environmentally-conscious vendors, eco-friendly hands-on art activities, and the opportunity to watch local artists in action as they create artwork.
Envirofest will be jam-packed with fun for kids of all ages! Attendees can:
- Join Bailey’s Gym, with your own mat, for yoga in the gardens at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.
- Join Museum Educators as they lead hourly family tours of the permanent collection
- Peruse an educational booth sponsored by the Environmental Protection Board
- Make eco-friendly art projects with Jacksonville Science Festival
- Stop by the Jacksonville Beekeepers Association table to see a live bee hive and learn about the importance of honey bees in the environment
- Participate in an awesome hands-on activity to find out more about Florida’s water systems with the Spring Water Challenge, brought to you by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Visit the Marine Mammal Wildlife Research table to learn about how the newly opened Manatee Critical Care Center at the Jacksonville Zoo cares for injured animals
- Learn how urban reefing is constructed and its benefit to the community with Payton Scheppe from the Jacksonville River Reef Project
- Other vendors include MOSH, St. Johns Riverkeeper, Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens, Keep Jacksonville Beautiful, Duval Soil and Water Conservation District, Tree Hill Nature Center, and more.
This free fun-filled day will surely be a unique educational experience that the entire family can enjoy.