What’s Blooming? – Saucer Magnolia
by Cummer Museum Admin, Director of Art Education in Gardens
As a Botanist and volunteer with the Museum, I will be contributing to the Gardens section of the blog. Check back on Thursdays to learn about the gardens, and feel free to ask any questions you may have. The thousands of annual plants in the Cummer Gardens are carefully selected to withstand the seasonal weather conditions. The Delphinium, Foxglove, and Pinks have just completed the winter planting. Right now the pansies, violas, snapdragons, and petunias are beautiful. Come often to see how the garden changes throughout the year. I am always happy to answer your questions from my experience.
Our Magnolia x Soulangiana, or Saucer Magnolia is in full bloom in the Italian garden. The blooms are very large 8-10 inches across when it is fully opened. Ours are a deep lustrous purple, with aspectrum of many beautiful pinks and purples. The huge flowers open before the leaves appear to give a glorious mass of color after a bleak winter. This Magnolia was discovered in Asia on one of the many plant explorations from Arboretums in America.
Tags: gardens, saucer magnolia, spring planting
This post was written by Cummer Museum Admin who has written 406 posts on The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens.
Director of Art Education
Sign Up for our email Newsletter
- Behind the Scenes
- Cummer Amelia
- Cummer Beaches
- Cummer CAFÉ
- Cummer SHOP
Connect with Us
Keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter to see what we're doing on other parts of the web!
Leave Us A Review
Did you have a great experience at The Cummer Museum & Gardens or the Tree Cup Cafe? Write a review or leave a fun tip on Yelp, TripAdvisor or FourSquare.
@thecummermuseum On Twitter
- Don’t miss a FREE recital from two members of the Ritz Chamber Players! ow.ly/Wh4L9 https://t.co/9BuWi2pVLI 7 years ago
- Need to get out of the house? Pay a visit to “The Newcomb Pottery Enterprise”. The show closes January 3rd! 7 years ago
- We love our Docents! Thank you Susan Law for your hard work! ow.ly/Wh3Jw 7 years ago
- Did you see the Folio Weekly article on the Outings Project? ow.ly/W2JxS 7 years ago
- #TBT to last month when Julien de Casabianca was in Jacksonville for the Outings Project! ow.ly/VYDBS 7 years ago
Powered by Tools for Twitter